Question: Very confused. Many symptoms. Please help ...

jesscrabbler - Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:20 pm

PLEASE respond to this even if you are not sure what is going on, I am desperatley hoping for advice. :cry: (Note: I have no pre-existing medical problems that I know of.)

My problems began for the most part when I started working at a day care in January. I was sick all of the time but that mostly went away after I left the center in June.

Going to the doctor often because of being sick so frequently, I was told I had a very low white blood cell count but nothing ever came of it. I was on antibiotics for upper respiratory infections.

The white blood cell count never went quite back to normal to my knowledge, but my doctor stopped being concerned when it went up enough to be considered almost normal. That doctor since left the office.

Shortly thereafter I began getting bladder infections. Well, I had one that was treated but some symptoms came back, including strange discomfort resembling being sexually turned-on (very strong, uncomfortable way) after urination. I was sent to a urologist who has put me on various antibiotics, did a cystoscope and ultrasound and CT scan and said everything looks normal, but I should get urodynamics done and see a OB-GYN. She also said it may be cystitis. I also have strange, unexplained pain on my left and right sides and have some discomfort during sexual activity. Doctor said kidneys looked fine and didn't explain sexual discomfort problems.

The CT scan showed free fluid in pelvis, the cause of which was unknown. Doctor says it may have been a cyst that ruptured, but did not say whether I may have additional cysts or say whether the fluid was a problem. I am concerned about this.

I will go ahead with these procedures but fear the doctor is not looking deep enough into the symptoms. Or, because I have been through so many different doctors, they may not be looking into my medical history such as the low white blood cell count. Also, was tested for lupas when I went in for arthritis-like pain in right hand, but doctor never called about results.

Again, PLEASE respond with ANY thoughts you may have. I will appreciate it so much!

Jessica

(Also, I have history of diabetes in my family, don't know if I have any symptoms of that. And I was tested for HIV recently, negative.)
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:47 am

User avatar Dear Jessica,

Your symptoms and the ct scan findings might point to you having pelvic inflammatory disease which is an infection of the uterus, fallopian tubes and ovaries.

i did not get whether you have already seen the ob/gyn or not from the message. But i think the urologist was right about you seeing an ob/gyn.

Infections in themselves can cause a low white count, usually it is the opposite but sometimes they can cause a low white count. In normal people, there is a condition called cyclic neutropenia (low white count that comes and goes in cycles). There is nothing to worry about. A low white count usually trigers the person/s who take a look at the blood count under the microscope to take a look at the characteristics of the white and other cells and if there was something abnormal, it would have been reported. i think once this whole infection thing is dealth with, i would recommend you getting a couple of complete blood counts to follow up on your white count but so far i don't think that there is any thing serious.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.