Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: constant urge to urinate typically starting midday

HOLLOW - Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:18 am

over a year ago i got a uti with the burning peeing etc my doctor gave me antibiotics and it cleared
then around 6 months later i thought it had returned
i had the feeling to urinate often with a sort of tingling feeling in the end of my penis too embarrased to return to the doctors i rode it out 3 weeks later it went
was taking 2 30mg codiene 4 times daily to block the tingling feeling ,there is also only a small amount of urine when i pee ,except first thing in a morning

4 weeks later it returned went back to doctors antibiotics again as soon as the course was complete it returned and again lasted around 3 weeks

since then it has been a regular cycle 3 weeks on 4 days off
i am now on trimethoprim for 7 days
urine samples have all been clear but my doctor does not seem to want to hurry things up and refer me

makes me very anxious and uncomfortable the feeling i have constantly everyday ,i do not drink alcohol ,have given up caffeine and stopped taking sugar in hot drinks
 Marceline F, RN - Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:42 am

User avatar Dear HOLLOW,
Recurring UTI's are of some concern, and continuous antibiotic therapies can sometimes contribute to the creation of antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria. A very important part of bladder health is adequate hydration. Good intake of fresh water is very important to helping keep kidneys and bladder functioning well. Are you drinking enough water during the day? The fact that you are able to void a better amount first thing in the morning leads me to wonder if it is coincidental to sleeping 8 + hours at night. Your body generally creates about 30+ ml of urine each hour - that would be therefore 240+ ml of urine when you wake the next morning. If your water intake is slim during the day, and you are also fighting a urinary tract infection, it is possible that you are voiding only dribbles of urine during the daytime. So long as you do not have a restrictive intake of water (such as people with certain types of heart failure or kidney failure), you may wish to increase your water intake during the daytime and see if that helps.