Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Burning sensation when urinating but don't think it's a UTI

Lottie - Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:27 am

Hi there,

I am a 29 year old female and I have beeen having this ongoing problem for the past 3/4 months now. Everytime my bladder seems to fill up it feels irritated and when I urinate i get a burning sensation. I don't seem to want to go all the time though, unlike cystitis.
I have been to my GP and they did a stick test for a UTI but it did'nt show up that there was one present, and she also took a swab for any sign of infection.

She gave me a short course of antibiotics just in case.
The antibiotics did'nt seem to make any difference and I am still left with this problem.
I also find it's painful when having sex.
I have also been having a slight watery brown discharge and a pain in my lower right hand side of my pelvis which sometimes seems to filter down into the top of my leg.
I have also been having pain on my right side and feel cold most of the time.
I have been diagnosed with undifferentiated connective tissue disease and possibly ME.
I would really appreciate any help on this.
Many thanks for your time.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:48 pm

User avatar There are several possible causes of pain with urination (dysuria). A UTI is generally at the top of the list; however, there are many other things.

Given your other symptoms, if an STD is possible I would strongly recommend being tested for these. Also, occasionally women will have a yeast infection that can cause inflammation of the distal urethra leading to pain.

Inflammatory bowel diseases are possible (particularly Crohn's disease) but would be less likely than other causes.

I would recommend you see your gynecologist or a urologist for an evaluation to help determine what is causing your pain.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us