Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Burning sensation when urinating but don't think it's a UTI

Lottie - Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:27 am

Hi there,

I am a 29 year old female and I have beeen having this ongoing problem for the past 3/4 months now. Everytime my bladder seems to fill up it feels irritated and when I urinate i get a burning sensation. I don't seem to want to go all the time though, unlike cystitis.
I have been to my GP and they did a stick test for a UTI but it did'nt show up that there was one present, and she also took a swab for any sign of infection.

She gave me a short course of antibiotics just in case.
The antibiotics did'nt seem to make any difference and I am still left with this problem.
I also find it's painful when having sex.
I have also been having a slight watery brown discharge and a pain in my lower right hand side of my pelvis which sometimes seems to filter down into the top of my leg.
I have also been having pain on my right side and feel cold most of the time.
I have been diagnosed with undifferentiated connective tissue disease and possibly ME.
I would really appreciate any help on this.
Many thanks for your time.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:48 pm

User avatar There are several possible causes of pain with urination (dysuria). A UTI is generally at the top of the list; however, there are many other things.

Given your other symptoms, if an STD is possible I would strongly recommend being tested for these. Also, occasionally women will have a yeast infection that can cause inflammation of the distal urethra leading to pain.

Inflammatory bowel diseases are possible (particularly Crohn's disease) but would be less likely than other causes.

I would recommend you see your gynecologist or a urologist for an evaluation to help determine what is causing your pain.