Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Burning sensation when urinating but don't think it's a UTI

 Lottie - Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:27 am

Hi there,

I am a 29 year old female and I have beeen having this ongoing problem for the past 3/4 months now. Everytime my bladder seems to fill up it feels irritated and when I urinate i get a burning sensation. I don't seem to want to go all the time though, unlike cystitis.
I have been to my GP and they did a stick test for a UTI but it did'nt show up that there was one present, and she also took a swab for any sign of infection.

She gave me a short course of antibiotics just in case.
The antibiotics did'nt seem to make any difference and I am still left with this problem.
I also find it's painful when having sex.
I have also been having a slight watery brown discharge and a pain in my lower right hand side of my pelvis which sometimes seems to filter down into the top of my leg.
I have also been having pain on my right side and feel cold most of the time.
I have been diagnosed with undifferentiated connective tissue disease and possibly ME.
I would really appreciate any help on this.
Many thanks for your time.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:48 pm

User avatar There are several possible causes of pain with urination (dysuria). A UTI is generally at the top of the list; however, there are many other things.

Given your other symptoms, if an STD is possible I would strongly recommend being tested for these. Also, occasionally women will have a yeast infection that can cause inflammation of the distal urethra leading to pain.

Inflammatory bowel diseases are possible (particularly Crohn's disease) but would be less likely than other causes.

I would recommend you see your gynecologist or a urologist for an evaluation to help determine what is causing your pain.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us