Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Urinary hesitation amongst other things

cgroux202 - Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:02 pm

17 Year Old Male with undecended testicle surgery. No record of urinary problems in family history. Is on no medications.

Hello. I have been experiencing urinary hesitation for the past ten days. I am able to urinate when I absolutely have to, however, I can not urinate casually. For instance, before I go to bed at night, or before I go into the shower, I am unable to release any extra fluids, sometimes even after two hours, where at least some urine should get released. I have also been expereincing slight discomfort near my left kidney on ocassion, nothing severe, just slight pain.

This problem has been occuring ever since I attended an event in which a bathroom was not acessible for about six hours. I held my urination for that time, and ever since attempting to urinate after returning home, I have had trouble urinating. I can urinate at a steady stream when I do go, and my urine is clear, with no blood or anything at all. Is this something I should worry about, or should it correct itself soon enough?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:44 pm

User avatar I'd be a little concerned you may have something obstructing flow. Perhaps you have developed some swelling of the urethra from the initial incident. This should go away over time if this is what is going on.

Another possibility would be obstruction from an outside structure compressing the urethra, such as an enlarged prostate.

Obstructions typically would give the feeling of not being able to empty the bladder completely but could potentially cause your symptoms.

If it is not getting better soon I would recommend you see a urologist for an evaluation.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us