Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Night time bed wetting - 37 yr old

verydiscrete70 - Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:11 pm

I am a 37 yr old Female. I am not on any medications, never seen a doctor for this and no surgeries.

For many years (15+) I will have dreams that I am urinating and I will then actually wet myself in my sleep. In my dreams I am forcing myself to go to the bathroom so I know that it isn't that I am wetting myself and then dreaming about it. It has gotten more frequent over the years and has occured 3 times in the last week.

Do I need to see a GP or do I need to see a Urologist about this? Is there a root cause for this occurance? Is it something that I will have to take medication for the rest of my life to control?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:01 pm

User avatar Hi Verydiscrete70,

You may ultimately need to see a urologist but I would recommend that you start with your primary care doctor. There are some medications (such as DDAVP nasal spray) that can help decrease urine production during the night and help eliminate night time wetting. These medicines are simple and safe enough to use in children.

I suspect that your bladder is sensing it is full and your brain responds by dreaming about it.

I would also recommend a simple urine analysis be done to look for anything such as diabetes that may be causing your increased urination, especially if you find yourself going lots during the day as well.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us