Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Night time bed wetting - 37 yr old

verydiscrete70 - Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:11 pm

I am a 37 yr old Female. I am not on any medications, never seen a doctor for this and no surgeries.

For many years (15+) I will have dreams that I am urinating and I will then actually wet myself in my sleep. In my dreams I am forcing myself to go to the bathroom so I know that it isn't that I am wetting myself and then dreaming about it. It has gotten more frequent over the years and has occured 3 times in the last week.

Do I need to see a GP or do I need to see a Urologist about this? Is there a root cause for this occurance? Is it something that I will have to take medication for the rest of my life to control?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:01 pm

User avatar Hi Verydiscrete70,

You may ultimately need to see a urologist but I would recommend that you start with your primary care doctor. There are some medications (such as DDAVP nasal spray) that can help decrease urine production during the night and help eliminate night time wetting. These medicines are simple and safe enough to use in children.

I suspect that your bladder is sensing it is full and your brain responds by dreaming about it.

I would also recommend a simple urine analysis be done to look for anything such as diabetes that may be causing your increased urination, especially if you find yourself going lots during the day as well.