Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Male with sensitive urethra at penis tip...

 timenuff - Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:54 pm

Male 31, who has had a sensitive urethra (near the opening) for quite some time.

I have had unprotected sex a few times, and had a bad experience when I was about 20 (genital warts), which was easy enough to diagnose. For the past few years at least (longer likely) my penis hole has been really sensitive, such that when it catches on my boxers, or bunches up in my pants the wrong way, it causes a very sharp pain.

In terms of history I have had the dreaded "penis swab" once, when I had already been experiencing SPS (my term - sensitive penis-hole syndrome), and it has come back clean. I think I'd die if I had to go back for another DPS (my term again - dreaded penis swab), and part of me wonders how normal this is, if it at all.

Please help, I did have a contusion to the urethral track a long time ago, bruised urethra, but I can't see it being a factor, b/c that occurred close to the scrotum, thanks to an errant, pointy, hard, metalic, object (= painful).[code][/code]
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:38 am

User avatar Hi Timenuff,

It is possible that there is something that is continuing to irritate your urethra causing the pain. Possible causes may be a reaction to soap or even to laundry detergent. It may also be a case of repeated trauma to the tip of the urethra (such as from your clothing).

Without other symptoms an infection is less likely.

If your symptoms persist you may want to see a urologist for an evaluation.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us