Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Is urination supposed to be straight or angled?

mrivenbark - Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:08 pm

Hi, I am a 36 male and was wondering when a male pees does is the urine suppost to come straight out of the end of the penis or is it angled. I was sitting on the toilet and had my penis pointed straight down into the toilet and urinated out of the toilet. I have also noticed that when I am at the urinal having my penis pointed straight down I pee towards the top of the urinal. Is this normal?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:22 pm

It would be hard to tell if there is any abnormality at all. But from your description it seems to me that what you describe is quite normal. It would be significant if there was a recent change in the direction of the stream of urine or if you were unable to control the direction of your stream. These symptoms are more significant when they occur with old age since they tend to be associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia.

Please inform your doctor if you have any concerns we are unable to assess the seriousness of your condition over the internet.