Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Possible UTI

magster1961 - Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:46 pm

I'm a female, 46, with alot of lower abdominal/back pain. I have had several bladder infections recently, and have taken Keflex and Cipro for them. They keep coming back and I am really tired of the pain. Any advice? Also, could it be something other than a UTI/bladder infection? The pain is really the only symptom that I have. No fever, no burning sensation when I urinate (only pain, and it is the same when I have a bowel movement, with the pain mostly in the lower left abdomen.), no itching, some odor with a small amount of discharge. Hope someone can advise. Oh, I also have stress incontinence...when I laugh too hard or sneeze. Also when I cough or have to do some heavy lifting. I do not take any meds other that Nexium for acid reflux, and Toprol for high blood pressure. Thanks for your time!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:16 am

User avatar Perhaps you could benefit from a more thorough consultation with you gynecologist. Explain all your symptoms in detail. There may be something going on aside from the UTIs and you may be able to get some help with the "bothersome" problems as well as the painful ones. Of course there are other organs in the abdomen as well, so a complete workup would be good. A colonoscopy may also be in order if you haven't already done that. More urological studies may also be helpful. Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us