Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Safe to get pregnant with Kidney Stones?

dolphin1272001 - Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:44 am

1. 21 years old
2. Female
3. I had kidney stones a stent was placed for 3 weeks and then removed. I still have numerous stones in right kidney and have to wait to get lithatripsy done because of insurance issues. While I was pregnant I had Bells Palsy, High Blood Pressure, Enlarged kidney liver and spleen.
4. Stretched urethra, scraping of the bladder both when I was 1 and 2. C-Section, Tonsils removed, stent placed in ureter, stent remove from ureter as well has stones.
5. Only thing is Breast Cancer in Aunt and Great Aunt.
6. Currently on no medication.
My guestion is now, I still have stones in my kidney that are unpassable and do need lithatripsy but cannot due to insurance. I have a 8 month old daughter and am ready to try for another child and I was wondering if it were safe to get pregnant now even though there is current stones in my right kidney. Please help if at all possible Thanks!!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:12 pm

User avatar I would try to wait until you have the kidney stone issue taken care of. Ideal pregnancy spacing is actually 18 months to 2 years between pregnancies so there is an additional benefit to waiting a little while at least. Pregnancy spacing does impact the health of your baby. More neonatal complications and deaths are associated with too close spacing.

Add to that the additional risks that could present in connection with the kidney stones and it just makes sense to hold off a bit.