Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Teenage male with pain, fever

LisaLou - Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:28 pm

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:44 pm Post subject: Blood in urine, negative culture, male

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My teenage son awoke with low Back pain and Fever 4 days ago. His regular doctor said there was blood in his urine sample and would grow a culture. She perscribed Bactrim. The next day, Fever was 102-103, continued low Back pain, burning with urination, chills, shivering, vommiting. Also color of urine was orange. Regular doctor sent us to ER. The ER did a CT scan that ruled out kidney stones. Said that young healthy males his age do not usually get urinary tract infections, but that must be what he had according to his urine sample, although blood count was normal. ER told us to stop Bactrim and put him on Keflex instead. Also gave him Nausea medicine and also phenazophyridin to help him urinate easier.
Yesterday he was even worse, so we saw a urologist. The urologist could not get a copy of his culture report, but said to continue on as we were doing and push fluids and he would improve soon. However, when I called the regular doctor back to find out about culture that was done 3 days ago, they said the culture was negative. How can the culture and bloodwork be normal? He still has high Fever, chills, low Back pain, blood in urine and burning when he urinates.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:15 am

User avatar Though UTI is rare in males, compared with females, it does happen in around 1% of the population. It sounds like your son happened to be that one in the hundred. With a negative culture, I would recommend following up with the urologist again. There are examples (mostly female) where there was no evidence of the bacteria in the urine but who responded to antibiotic treatment anyway. Perhaps in those cases, the problem would have resolved on its own without medication but with symptoms it is typical to treat for UTI anyway to prevent more serious complications if bacteria are present.

Lab work is not always perfect so perhaps therein lies the problem. At any rate, symptoms like this should be evaluate with the urologist so I am glad to hear your son is in the care of a competent doctor.