Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Torsioned Testicle?

stratton46 - Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:28 pm

I am an 18 year old male with no known diseases or surgeries. Last night I was taking a shower and I was washing my private parts when I thought I felt my testicle flip upside down but I'm not sure. I didn't feel any pain but the next day, a few hours after I woke up I had a slight stomasch ache. I was wondering if it could possibly be a torsioned (twisted) testicle. Sorry if this was kind of long and thanks for all answers.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:14 pm

User avatar Hi Stratton46,

If you are not feeling testicular pain it is unlikely to be testicular torsion. Testicular torsion is almost always quite painful.

One caviat: over the internet I cannot say for certain if this is or is not torsion. If testicular torsion is present this is an emergency as the longer the torsion remains the less likely it will be to save the testis. If you are still concerned it may be torsion I recommend that you see a doctor as soon as possible.

Best wishes
 kidd34 - Mon May 11, 2009 7:55 pm

if u were to feel your testicles, would be able to tell if one of them is twisted and "torsioned" cuz at the moment i am having a sometimes "baby' pain to a moderate pain in my left testiccle.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:51 am

User avatar Hi kidd34,
There are certain indicators for the diagnosis of torsion of the testicle.
a) what is known as the 'lie' of the testicle-- ie: horizontally placed testicle rather than the normal vertical lie.
b) scrotum which may appear inflammed (red) and very tender.
c) spermatic cord which may feel 'twisted'
d) lifting up the scrotum worsens the pain.
However, as surgeons, we usually keep our threshold of clinical suspicion very low and would prefer to request a scrotal ultrasound & doppler study to exclude this diagnosis.
Actually, we would 'explore' if we are convinced despite the results of the investigations!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us