Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Problems with walking after bladder sling repair

darkestdays30 - Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:46 pm

I had bladder surgery July 30th (bladder sling) and went home about 1 1/2 hrs after I got out of recovery but from the walking from getting up and leaving and going to the car, my hip went to hurting EXTREMELY bad. I also developed a limp from the pain and was walking really slow because of it. I ended up feeling pain radiating into the upper part of my leg too. I am doing better now but I keep having spells where I get achy and am having trouble walking, which is causing me to walk really really slow. It usually happens after I've sat down for awhile & it occurs every day though it ends up going away.

Finally to the question.. If a nerve was possibly damaged during this surgery, would it cause such problems OR is this a typical reaction to surgery??? I haven't told my urologist what is going on and don't really know if I need to.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:52 am

User avatar Hi Darkestdays30,

Pelvic surgery can cause a significant amount of hip pain. There are several reasons for this. The muscles that run from the pelvis into the hip may be irritated from the surgery causing some pain.

The nerves that supply the pelvis can cause pain that radiates to the hip. This radiated pain can be quite difficult to tell if it is coming from the pelvis or actually the hip.

Nerve damage would be possible if the nerve were hit during the surgery. The nerves that supply the hip are generally located at the back of the pelvis and out of the way.

I would recommend you talk with you urologist about this to be sure everything is OK. I suspect that this pain will slowly get better.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us