Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Problems with walking after bladder sling repair

darkestdays30 - Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:46 pm

I had bladder surgery July 30th (bladder sling) and went home about 1 1/2 hrs after I got out of recovery but from the walking from getting up and leaving and going to the car, my hip went to hurting EXTREMELY bad. I also developed a limp from the pain and was walking really slow because of it. I ended up feeling pain radiating into the upper part of my leg too. I am doing better now but I keep having spells where I get achy and am having trouble walking, which is causing me to walk really really slow. It usually happens after I've sat down for awhile & it occurs every day though it ends up going away.

Finally to the question.. If a nerve was possibly damaged during this surgery, would it cause such problems OR is this a typical reaction to surgery??? I haven't told my urologist what is going on and don't really know if I need to.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:52 am

User avatar Hi Darkestdays30,

Pelvic surgery can cause a significant amount of hip pain. There are several reasons for this. The muscles that run from the pelvis into the hip may be irritated from the surgery causing some pain.

The nerves that supply the pelvis can cause pain that radiates to the hip. This radiated pain can be quite difficult to tell if it is coming from the pelvis or actually the hip.

Nerve damage would be possible if the nerve were hit during the surgery. The nerves that supply the hip are generally located at the back of the pelvis and out of the way.

I would recommend you talk with you urologist about this to be sure everything is OK. I suspect that this pain will slowly get better.