Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Possible UTI?

 TheBongo - Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:16 pm

Doctor(s) -

I have been having a few strange problems the last few days. I did some research online and it seems like I probablly have an UTI but I wanted to run it by some professionals.

Recently I have been having some general discomfort in my penis. It feels like something is brushing up against it, just causing an annoying sensation every so often. Occasionally it feels almost like there is something inside it, toward the base of the head, but there is nothing in there that I can feel by gently squeezing. I have been able to urinate and perform other penile functions without difficulty so I don't think there is anything actually blocking it.

Today I had a bit of discomfort in my testicles but I think it may've been due to more exhaustion and stress than anything.

From what I understand men are much more susceptible to UTIs when under stress, and I have been under a great deal lately.

Do these descriptions sound like a UTI or some other problem? Would it be advisible to get a home UTI test kit from the local drug store, and then see a health care provider or would it be best to just go straight to the Doc?

Thanks in advance for all your help, this site seems like a great place!
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:07 am

User avatar Dear Bill,

i think you can start by a uti kit at home and then if need be go to the doctor.

Your symptoms do not sound like you have a severe uti. If you start having burning urination, frequency of urination, fever or pus or blood in the urine, please go see your doctor immediately.

Thank you very much for using our website and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us