Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: recurring dilated (12mm) ureter

 mdfuqua - Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:15 pm

what can cause a recurring dilated (12mm) ureter in a man age 29, with no evidence stones or infection. requiring a stent,
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:16 pm

User avatar Hi Mdfuqua,

There may be an issue with obstruction of the ureter at the ureterovesicular junction (the connection of the ureter to the bladder). This can occur due to a problem with the valve of the bladder.

I would recommend you continue to follow up with a urologist. Further imaging studies can help evaluate for this obstruction.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us