Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Pain on my right side just under the ribcage and in the back

GINA - Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:39 pm

i have a question. im a 32 yr old fem just under 5' and about 113lbs for like 2 days now i been having pain on my right side just under the ribcage and in the back area...

im irritable ,tired and need to have sleep all the time.i have a wave of chill rushing thru my body sometimes..what is this? i can say i do have alot of stress goin on in my life,but i have always been in good health,yes of course your usual seasonal colds and cough and a ear infection during winter mnths..but nothing serious.

it feel like i was kicked in the kidneys if pressure is applied,and very uncomfortable.
i have been drinking lots of water, since i work outside and the heat is like 90dg,and also i been drinking cranberry juice and herb teas to help flush out..am i doing somewhat ok by self helping...since i don't have med coverage and afford med attention.

anyhow what can this pain mean. could i die
 KJ8742 - Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:29 pm

it sounds like it might be a kidney stone. I have experienced the pain of stones twice and I am only 19. The pain came and went and was right under my ribs in my lower back. I would keep drinking lots and lots of fluids and if it doesn't get better you should see a doctor. If it is a stone, it might not be able to pass and they can painlessly blast it out.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:39 am

User avatar Hi KJ8742,
Your problem sounds like that due to urinary stones.You are doing yourself good by drinking plenty of water - this will prevent further stone formation,but may not help as far as any stone which has already formed (esp.if it is large).
Therefore, consultation with a doctor is certainly necessary.Good luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us