Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Pain on my right side just under the ribcage and in the back

GINA - Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:39 pm

i have a question. im a 32 yr old fem just under 5' and about 113lbs for like 2 days now i been having pain on my right side just under the ribcage and in the back area...

im irritable ,tired and need to have sleep all the time.i have a wave of chill rushing thru my body sometimes..what is this? i can say i do have alot of stress goin on in my life,but i have always been in good health,yes of course your usual seasonal colds and cough and a ear infection during winter mnths..but nothing serious.

it feel like i was kicked in the kidneys if pressure is applied,and very uncomfortable.
i have been drinking lots of water, since i work outside and the heat is like 90dg,and also i been drinking cranberry juice and herb teas to help flush out..am i doing somewhat ok by self helping...since i don't have med coverage and afford med attention.

anyhow what can this pain mean. could i die
 KJ8742 - Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:29 pm

it sounds like it might be a kidney stone. I have experienced the pain of stones twice and I am only 19. The pain came and went and was right under my ribs in my lower back. I would keep drinking lots and lots of fluids and if it doesn't get better you should see a doctor. If it is a stone, it might not be able to pass and they can painlessly blast it out.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:39 am

User avatar Hi KJ8742,
Your problem sounds like that due to urinary stones.You are doing yourself good by drinking plenty of water - this will prevent further stone formation,but may not help as far as any stone which has already formed (esp.if it is large).
Therefore, consultation with a doctor is certainly necessary.Good luck!