Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Side Pains

 RebeccaL - Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:17 pm

Hello I am a 38 year old female who is having problems with side pains.
At first it was diagonised as kidney stones but after two cat scans nothing can be found. They are now telling me it might be something muscular but I have a hard time believing that. This has been going on since March and its not going away. I have pains in my side about every two weeks plus pressure on my groin area. Since this has started I have had at least three UTI's. I don't' know what to do anymore and am very frusturated and tired of the pain. Can you think of something else it might be or a specialist that I can go too?
Thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:17 pm

User avatar Hi RebeccaL,

You may want to see a nephrologist and have your urine tested for excess calcium. Even if a stone isn't present, too much calcium in the urine can cause pain. You may also want to talk with a urologist to see if there are possible excess pressure issues in your urinary tract that may be causing some pain and setting you up for kidney infections.

With your urinary tract infections have you had repeat urine culture after treatment to ensure that the infection has cleared? If you have not and your infection is not being cleared you may be having pain from this.

Muscular pain is also a possibility but with the UTI's it may be a good idea to also look a bit more into the urinary tract.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us