Question: Side Pains

RebeccaL - Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:17 pm

Hello I am a 38 year old female who is having problems with side pains.
At first it was diagonised as kidney stones but after two cat scans nothing can be found. They are now telling me it might be something muscular but I have a hard time believing that. This has been going on since March and its not going away. I have pains in my side about every two weeks plus pressure on my groin area. Since this has started I have had at least three UTI's. I don't' know what to do anymore and am very frusturated and tired of the pain. Can you think of something else it might be or a specialist that I can go too?
Thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:17 pm

User avatar Hi RebeccaL,

You may want to see a nephrologist and have your urine tested for excess calcium. Even if a stone isn't present, too much calcium in the urine can cause pain. You may also want to talk with a urologist to see if there are possible excess pressure issues in your urinary tract that may be causing some pain and setting you up for kidney infections.

With your urinary tract infections have you had repeat urine culture after treatment to ensure that the infection has cleared? If you have not and your infection is not being cleared you may be having pain from this.

Muscular pain is also a possibility but with the UTI's it may be a good idea to also look a bit more into the urinary tract.