Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Undescended Testicle not treated untill almost 15 yrs old

jenztoy77 - Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:48 pm

I am hoping to receive a few answers regarding my undescended testicle. My right testicle never dropped, and it was not caught until a sports physical when I was about to turn 15. I had surgery and had it removed. I am now 35 yrs old, and have successfully fathered three children. The doctor told me that one testicle would produce enough sperm for me to father children, and he was right. They implanted a prosthetic in place of the removed testicle. He supposedly used a large prosthesis as he guessed by my size then I would be a large man. My question is that I feel my penis is on the smaller size. My left (real) testicle is signifigantly larger than the "fake" one. Could the left one have grown excessively to make up for the non-existient right one, and could there have been a lack of testosterone during puberty, and if so would that have hindered my penis growth? I appreciate your time, and would welcome any and all info you could give me regarding the possible problems caused by this during puberty.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:28 am

User avatar Hi Jenztoy77,

The main issue with undescended testes is that they are at risk for developing cancers in the future. They are brought down into the scrotum so they can be examined easier for tumors.

If your other testis was in the scrotum it is unlikely that you had a lack of testosterone. Prior to puberty very little testosterone is actually needed. During puberty, the good testis should easily produce enough testosterone to allow for normal penile growth.

There are a few other conditions that may cause decreased penile growth, such as growth hormone deficiency.

If you are concerned it is reasonable to see an endocrinologist for an evaluation.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us