Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Ive never been able to pull my foreskin back

 markg - Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:54 pm


Im a 23 year old male with an embrassing problem.

The thing is ive never been able to pull my foreskin back. I started doing gentle stretching and can pull it back without an erection but its quiet difficult. But cant with an erection

Am i the only person in the world with this? havent heard of anyone with this problem before. i have been putting this off for so long need to get it sorted but im so embarrassed.

Also when i pull my foreskin back without an erection the head is soooo sensitive.

If i get circumcised how long will the penis head be sensitive for. cant really afford to have time off work

any ideas where i go from here?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:23 pm

User avatar Hi Markg,

What you are describing is actually more common than you suspect. It sounds like a condition called phimosis where the opening of the foreskin is very tight. This is a condition that should be addressed because if the skin does come back it can become trapped behind the head of the penis creating the need for an emergency circumcision to prevent bloodflow from being cut off to the tip of the penis.

There is a non-surgical option to try if you prefer not to be circumcised. Your doctor can prescribe you a high potency topical steroid that can thin the skin enough to allow it to normally retract.

If this is unsuccessful, surgery is usually recommended. You should see either your regular doctor or a urologist for an evaluation.

Best wishes.
 markg - Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:30 pm

thank u
 markg - Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:32 pm

oh just remembered. What about the sensitivity of my penis sould it be so tender? how long will this last? how can i improve it so it isnt so tender

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us