Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Severe pain in left testical, in dire need of help

IamVeryWorried - Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:10 am

Hi, I'm 17 and I've been experiencing a severe amount of pain in my left testicle for 2 and a half months now. I don't know how it started but when I feel my testicles, I don't want to say I feel a "lump" on the left one but it certainly hurts when I feel it compared to when I feel the right one. I've noticed that my left testicle is in more of an oval shape than my right one. While standing up, if I exhale deeply I notice that my right testicle rises immediately while my left does so but is more slow and does not rise as high as the right. Also when standing my left testicle is about half a centimeter (only a slight difference) lower than my right one in the scrotum. If I'm lying in bed and I roll my body from left to right I feel a lot of pain in my left testicle when it moves with my body.

I think my left testicle may be dysfunctional. I'm worried and don't want to tell anyone. Please help. I don't know why it hasn't gone away on its own after almost 3 months now.
 KJ8742 - Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:21 pm

I recently had terrible pains in my testicles and it turned out to be a kidney stone. If you don't have blood in your urine, it probably isn't but when i went to the ER they also checked me out for a torsion so if its been hurting for that long I would get it checked out if it's been 3 months and is causing you pain.
 IamVeryWorried - Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:00 pm

I'm pretty sure it's not a kidney stone. The only pain is in the testical itself, nowhere else. I don't want to go to a urologist. and I definitely don't want to have surgery. Can anyone else please help?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:28 pm

User avatar Hi IamVeryWorried,

Sorry for the delay. You are correct that I didn't see it.

Pain in the testes for 2 months is unlikely to be torsion. Testicular torsion causes severe pain and must be addressed as soon as possible (ideally within 6 hours) or the testicle begins to die. By 2 months the testis would be non-viable and likely would no longer have feeling. It is also likely that you would have had more and more symptoms until it was extremely severe.

More likely is a smoldering infection or inflammation of the epididymus (the collecting tubes that sit on top of the testis) or of the testis itself. If an STD is possible, this is definitely something that should be tested for.

Even if an STD isn't possible, a chronic infection could be present. I would advise you to see your doctor for an evaluation. You may benefit from seeing a urologist as well.

Regarding the left testis being lower than the right and not rising quite as high, this is normal. It's basically a space saving technique that allows the testes to fit in the scrotum better.

Please feel free to post again if you have any follow up questions. Best wishes.
 IamVeryWorried - Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:49 pm

Thanks for that reply. I'm positive I do not have an STD because I have never been sexually active. So if not an STD or torsion, you think it might be a chronic infection? I really don't want to tell anyone because I'm so embarassed to do so. But since you bring up the fact that I can tell a doctor (not necessarily a urologist), do you think a family physician would work? My mom has been one for over 20 years in all areas of physiology. She's not a urologist however. I guess I'll tell her if the pain doesn't stop within one more week.

I thought of a possible cause of the pain. I notice that by default, my shaft is always pointed left, and rests above my left testicle. I think that over the past few years as it has grown it may have been too much weight on my left testicle, causing it to pain this badly. Is this a "valid" cause for my situation? Do you know if others have this same shaft position as me. This is the only reason I can think of for why I'm in this much pain.

I'm trying to sound as honest and least childish as possible here, I don't want to see a urologist because I am afraid that they will not want to see me because my skin is of a different color than Caucasians (I'm Indian). I doubt they would want to examine me (and if they did so it would be with a feeling of 'weirdness'...and I don't want this at all).
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:11 pm

User avatar Hi again,

Discussing this issue with a family physician would be a very appropriate place to start. Most family physicians are very qualified to address these type of issues.

I'm not sure where you are located but hopefully skin color would not be an issue. I do understand your hesitation, however. Your question about the shaft of your penis putting pressure on the testis, generally the testis would have enough room in the scrotum to move and relieve this pressure. The exception to this could be if you were very tight fitting underwear that could constrict the space of the scrotum.

A chronic infection can occur without being an STD so I would recommend at least a screening urinalysis (from the first part of your stream rather than the mid part as a typical urinalysis would be done; doing the 1st part allows better evaluation of the urethra and prostate for any signs of infection that could also be present in the testis).