Question: Prostatitis

UAgirl0307 - Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:46 pm

I am a 21 yr old and was wondering if my husband could be contacting his prostatitis from me due to some sort of infection i have and may not know about or is there some other way he might be contracting it. We are in a monogamous relationship and he had no symptoms until recently.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:37 pm

User avatar Hi UAgirl0307,

It turns out that only about 10% or so of prostatitis cases are caused by bacteria. Some STD bacteria can cause prostatitis; however, it is much more common for women to have symptoms than men. (This, of course, does not rule out an STD cause so if this is a possibility STD's should be tested for.)

It is more likely that the cause is not a bacterial infection. Other causes include a narrowed urethra through the prostate, prostate trauma, autoimmune causes and the nebulous unknown cause.

If your husband is not improving I would recommend he see a urologist for further evaluation.