Question: Dark patch on gland

Anonymous123 - Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:53 am

Hi, I am a 16 year old male, and I have recently noticed an irregular, dark (dark brown/black) patch about the size of 0.7cm x 0.7cm near the tip of my penis. The patch of skin does not show any signs of abnormality other than the discoloration itself (ie. no pain, no bleeding, skin is not thicker there). I have no prior medical history of any disease or surgeries, and my family has no history of other urological conditions. I am not circumcised, and rarely masturbate. I first noticed this when I woke up in the morning and felt my penis grinding against the inside of my pants and suspected that this could be merely a bruise as a result of friction, however I saw little or no change in size or color of the skin in the past week and I am worried that it might be something bad, could someone give some suggestions as to what I should do?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:57 pm

User avatar Hi Anonymous123,

There are a few possibilities. It may be simply an area of increased pigmentation although if this were the case I would expect you would have noticed it sooner as it would have been present for some time.

Another possibility is that you had some irritation in the area leading to some inflammation. Inflammation can be followed by hyperpigmentation that can last for several months before fading.

A third possibility would be a fungal skin infection.

I would recommend you see your doctor to have this evaluated when you are in the office next.