Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: urethra problem

BigKyle - Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:20 pm

Hi, I'm an 18 year old male and I've recently been experiencing pain on the end of my penis which started after i had masturbated a day ago. I felt a sharp pain so I looked and saw that in my external urethral orifice that there was a purplish dot about the size of a pen point on the left side of the opening. I have no pain in urinating but just a sharp pain every once in awhile in that area. I've also noticed that on the shaft and what I believe is the ejaculatory duct it is a bit swollen that leads to a point lower on my shaft that is bright red and you can see the outline of a vein there. I was wondering if the purplish dot in my urethra was possibly a vein that swelled up and was just wondering if you could give me a better explanation of this. Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:58 pm

User avatar Hi BigKyle,

What you are seeing may be a vein. If the larger red spot is getting bigger I would recommend you have this evaluated as it may be an infection.

Sometimes the tip of the urethra can become inflamed due to irritation from excessive moisture or rubbing on the clothing. Keeping the tip dry can help this.

If your pain persists I would suggest you see your doctor for an evaluation.