Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: chronic urinary infections

karladd - Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:44 am

Im 18 and have had 7 infections in the past year i try to do everything right but nothing helps.... i have one right now and i also am experiencing abdominal aching but i havent had lower abdominal pain with any of my other infections which were more severe than this infection... i was told my infection this time is very light and im not sure why i am getting lower abdominal pain... its throughout the whole pelvic region......... i am also wondering what it means when it says to go to the hospital if ur abdomen is rigid and hard and tender to the touch... im not sure my stomach is soft but if i push hard it is hard and my upper abdomen is kind of hard ... ive been nauseated and vomited once in the week ... ive went to get checked for appendicitis and had ultrasounds and pelvic exams done... any help would be great thanks... im not sure if i should worry alot or not... i seem to get better i don't have nausea anymore just the feeling that my stomach is full and mild pain in my abdomen
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:48 am

User avatar Dear Karladd,

With 7 urinary tract infections within a year, i would recommend that you be seen by a urologist or a nephrologist or at least if you have not had a urine culture and sensitivity to find out what is the bug that is causing this, at least, to have one so that you can find out whether or not this is an unusual bug resistant to antibiotics.

The abdominal pain that you are experiencing with the vomiting and nausea could be accompanying symptoms of a urinary tract infection.

i am not sure about whether or not you have a mild form of pelvic inflammatory disease, or just pelvic congestion from having a heavy period but the symptoms can also fit just severe pelvic congestion. A pelvic exam and ultrasound should with a good degree of confidence that you don't have pelvic inflammatory disease even though nothing is 100% perfect.

How long you should wait before going back to your doctor is a tough question to answer, if you think the symptoms are improving even though they are still there, this means that you can still wait a little bit, but if the symptoms are getting worse, i suggest you don't wait and call your doctor and be seen soon. Another test that could be done is a ct scan of the abdomen.

karladd - Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:25 am

what exactly is pelvic congestion? will it go away...l ive had exams done such as an ultrasound and pelvic exam so i don't think it is gynological problem....
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:16 pm

User avatar Dear Karladd,

Pelvic congestion means too much blood present in the vessels of the pelvis and it is something that can not be quantified and/or pick-up on examination.

It is assumed to be there when there is pain and discomfort and there is nothing picked-up with ultrasounds and/or ct scans.