Question: Urologist Can't figure out what's wrong

frustratedguy - Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:14 pm

I am a 22 year old male who has been having a recurrent genital problem for over a year now. After having protected sexual intercourse one night (may or may not be relevant), the next morning I woke up and the circumference of my penis head was red and I had some discomfort(itching) in my urethra. I was tested for STDs, had a urethra swab both of which showed no positive results. I also began noticing that my penis appeared very swollen at different times throughout the day, and I began developing urinary symptoms such as difficulty starting, slight burning and dribbling. I have been placed on countless antibiotics and steroid creams none of which have shown any improvement. Also, when I have sexual activity of any sort my penis appears very swollen after and the veins look extremely dark blueish/purple. I recently had a cytoscopy done and my urethra looked fine but i had a "slightly enlarged" prostate. I was put on Uroxatral again to no avail. I am extremely frustrated and have no idea what to do. If all STDs and urethral problems have been ruled out, must it be some sort of contact dermititis or allergy? Please help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:16 pm

User avatar Hi Frustratedguy,

It sounds as if you've been well evaluated for an infection. Your thought of a contact dermatitis or allergy may be accurate.

This area is a little tricky to treat. Generally, contact dermatitis is treated with a topical steroid. It is generally recommended not to apply topical steroids to the genitals.

Following up with a urologist is important. I hope you are able to find answers soon.