Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Urologist Can't figure out what's wrong

 frustratedguy - Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:14 pm

I am a 22 year old male who has been having a recurrent genital problem for over a year now. After having protected sexual intercourse one night (may or may not be relevant), the next morning I woke up and the circumference of my penis head was red and I had some discomfort(itching) in my urethra. I was tested for STDs, had a urethra swab both of which showed no positive results. I also began noticing that my penis appeared very swollen at different times throughout the day, and I began developing urinary symptoms such as difficulty starting, slight burning and dribbling. I have been placed on countless antibiotics and steroid creams none of which have shown any improvement. Also, when I have sexual activity of any sort my penis appears very swollen after and the veins look extremely dark blueish/purple. I recently had a cytoscopy done and my urethra looked fine but i had a "slightly enlarged" prostate. I was put on Uroxatral again to no avail. I am extremely frustrated and have no idea what to do. If all STDs and urethral problems have been ruled out, must it be some sort of contact dermititis or allergy? Please help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:16 pm

User avatar Hi Frustratedguy,

It sounds as if you've been well evaluated for an infection. Your thought of a contact dermatitis or allergy may be accurate.

This area is a little tricky to treat. Generally, contact dermatitis is treated with a topical steroid. It is generally recommended not to apply topical steroids to the genitals.

Following up with a urologist is important. I hope you are able to find answers soon.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us