Question: UTI Symptoms in young male?

curiousabouthealth - Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:25 pm

I am a 20 year old male who has recently been experiencing some symptoms that concern me. I've never had any urinary tract problems in the past, but I've had a discomfort in my lower back for the last few days. It is very mild and hasn't stopped me from working or playing sports.

I've not been sexually active in a while, but I noticed the other day when i ejaculated that not much ejaculate was present and there was a stinging sensation towards the end of my urethra, but only briefly, as though something was being forced through. I also have a slight redness around the urethra opening, which hasn't been uncomfortable, although intermittently it has itched slightly. Urination hasn't been painful, but I can't say it feels normal exactly (although this may be in my head as I've thought about this a lot over the past couple of days). It also appears that urination has been more frequent, but I chalked this up to the large amounts of fluid I have consumed since the symptoms began.

I plan on going to the University Medical Center soon, but they are not open on the weekends. I know UTI's are uncommon for people my age and gender, but I was wondering if these symptoms seem to suggest I have one. Also, if that is the case, or even if it isn't, is it safe for me to wait to schedule an appointment at the Medical Center in a few days, or should I go to the emergency room.

Sorry for the length, and I thank you for the help in advance.
 curiousabouthealth - Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:30 pm

I forgot to mention, I have took my temperature and only have a fever of about 99.5. I'm not sure if this is significant, but I thought I would post it anyway.

Thank you
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:52 pm

User avatar Hi curiousabouthealth,
From your description, a UTI can't be ruled out.The other possibility is seminal vesiculitis (a digital rectal examination may reveal a tender seminal vesicle).
Th right thing to do under the circumstances will be to consult your GP & have your urine cultured (which is the best way to diagnose a UTI , to find out which microbe is causing it and to know which antibiotic will be appropriate.
Seminal volume is variable, depending among other variables, frequency of sexual activity.Cheers!