Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: UTI Symptoms in young male?

 curiousabouthealth - Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:25 pm


I am a 20 year old male who has recently been experiencing some symptoms that concern me. I've never had any urinary tract problems in the past, but I've had a discomfort in my lower back for the last few days. It is very mild and hasn't stopped me from working or playing sports.

I've not been sexually active in a while, but I noticed the other day when i ejaculated that not much ejaculate was present and there was a stinging sensation towards the end of my urethra, but only briefly, as though something was being forced through. I also have a slight redness around the urethra opening, which hasn't been uncomfortable, although intermittently it has itched slightly. Urination hasn't been painful, but I can't say it feels normal exactly (although this may be in my head as I've thought about this a lot over the past couple of days). It also appears that urination has been more frequent, but I chalked this up to the large amounts of fluid I have consumed since the symptoms began.

I plan on going to the University Medical Center soon, but they are not open on the weekends. I know UTI's are uncommon for people my age and gender, but I was wondering if these symptoms seem to suggest I have one. Also, if that is the case, or even if it isn't, is it safe for me to wait to schedule an appointment at the Medical Center in a few days, or should I go to the emergency room.

Sorry for the length, and I thank you for the help in advance.
 curiousabouthealth - Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:30 pm

I forgot to mention, I have took my temperature and only have a fever of about 99.5. I'm not sure if this is significant, but I thought I would post it anyway.

Thank you
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:52 pm

User avatar Hi curiousabouthealth,
From your description, a UTI can't be ruled out.The other possibility is seminal vesiculitis (a digital rectal examination may reveal a tender seminal vesicle).
Th right thing to do under the circumstances will be to consult your GP & have your urine cultured (which is the best way to diagnose a UTI , to find out which microbe is causing it and to know which antibiotic will be appropriate.
Seminal volume is variable, depending among other variables, frequency of sexual activity.Cheers!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us