Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: UTI Symptoms in young male?

curiousabouthealth - Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:25 pm

Hi,

I am a 20 year old male who has recently been experiencing some symptoms that concern me. I've never had any urinary tract problems in the past, but I've had a discomfort in my lower back for the last few days. It is very mild and hasn't stopped me from working or playing sports.

I've not been sexually active in a while, but I noticed the other day when i ejaculated that not much ejaculate was present and there was a stinging sensation towards the end of my urethra, but only briefly, as though something was being forced through. I also have a slight redness around the urethra opening, which hasn't been uncomfortable, although intermittently it has itched slightly. Urination hasn't been painful, but I can't say it feels normal exactly (although this may be in my head as I've thought about this a lot over the past couple of days). It also appears that urination has been more frequent, but I chalked this up to the large amounts of fluid I have consumed since the symptoms began.

I plan on going to the University Medical Center soon, but they are not open on the weekends. I know UTI's are uncommon for people my age and gender, but I was wondering if these symptoms seem to suggest I have one. Also, if that is the case, or even if it isn't, is it safe for me to wait to schedule an appointment at the Medical Center in a few days, or should I go to the emergency room.

Sorry for the length, and I thank you for the help in advance.
 curiousabouthealth - Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:30 pm

I forgot to mention, I have took my temperature and only have a fever of about 99.5. I'm not sure if this is significant, but I thought I would post it anyway.

Thank you
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:52 pm

User avatar Hi curiousabouthealth,
From your description, a UTI can't be ruled out.The other possibility is seminal vesiculitis (a digital rectal examination may reveal a tender seminal vesicle).
Th right thing to do under the circumstances will be to consult your GP & have your urine cultured (which is the best way to diagnose a UTI , to find out which microbe is causing it and to know which antibiotic will be appropriate.
Seminal volume is variable, depending among other variables, frequency of sexual activity.Cheers!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us