Question: Lower bladder capacity

sedcast2 - Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:52 am

Hi

I've got a bit of a concern that's been bugging me a while now, hope you can shed some light on this issue.

About me: 27 yrs old male, good physical condition, pretty fit. I smoke about 10-20 cigarettes (per week) want to quit.

I've noticed over the last couple of years that my bladder capacity has dropped quite a lot. I would reckon that 200mls is the average void for me (only going when I have to). There is no pain, or anything when I pass urine, the strength of the flow does vary sometimes though.

I am definate that I used to have a much stronger and bigger bladder.

Normally bathroom trips are about every 2-3 hours, however drinking a lot of alcohol, caffeine or water means repeated trips, which is pretty embarrasing.

Sometimes I think that because I think about it a lot, I want to go. It's a bit of a mental circle.

Is there a way to improve bladder capacity? Or is there some sort of underlying condition like prostate or bladder problems?

NOTE: I have seen my doctor about this, but apparently these problems are uncommon in young men. I had urinary tests, on the first reading there were signs of microscopic hematuria, which they sent off for further investigation, but the microbiology report gave it the all clear.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:00 pm

User avatar Hi Sedcast2,

There are a few things that could be causing your symptoms. I'd recommend you see a urologist for further evaluation. Even though it is uncommon, enlarged prostates do occur in younger men. This would be my first thought about what to look for.

If it turns out your prostate is of normal size I would suggest some imaging, such as an ultrasound or CT scan to see if there is some other process compressing your bladder and keeping it from fully expanding.