Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: tethered epididymis

Bob9 - Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:05 pm

I am a 58 year old man.

I had surgery on the right scrotum and the incision sutures ruptured. I drained blood and then body fluid. The doctor elected to allow me to drain and self-close instead of re-closing the incision.

Scar tissue developed in the open wound (3cm in dia)as it was closing. The epididymis (which at the time was swollen for another reason)tethered to the scar tissue. Additonally, the skin of the scrotal is now adhered to the scrotal sac.

Now, after a few hours each and every day, my epididymis and/or testes throbs. At night I have to sit still with my legs apart and wait for the throbbing to go away.

Doctor recommended Motrin and then a steroid product. He also suggest I try to pull apart the scar tissue (very lightly). If those did not work, a simple surgery would "clip" the epididymis free.

Seems to me the drugs are simply covering up the problem.

What are the risks of my present situation? What should be my next step?

Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:27 am

User avatar I am sorry nobody was able to answer your question earlier. I hope by now you have gotten answers. Your doctor would need to evaluate this. I can only guess that he/she was expecting that healing alone would resolve some of the problem.