Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: 18 and almost house bound

 rubens2009 - Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:09 pm

I am a otherwise healthy 18y.o male.
For around 5 months i have suffered from 24/7 every waking second urination frequencey with no increased urine. I try and go but nothing but a dribble comes out. I have had urine samples taken, i have had blood tests done. I have had a cystoscopy carried out along with x-ray of kidneys and abdominal ultrasound. Nothing irregular came up. I have a strange irritated itchy feeling my my penis which i think is the cause, i feel as though my body is automatically pushing and trying to make me urinate, but i can hold it if i have to. Most of the itching/strange sensation is around the glans where the penile papules are, but sometimes it is felt in the urethral opening and the shaft. This has basically stoped my living my quality of life is low and i have been put on amytriptyline to prevent depression, this is failing to do so. I cannot get to sleep because of these feelings, and i am seriously starting to struggle. My doctors seem to have given up on me now and im told "its stress" which i know means theyre stumped.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:06 am

User avatar Dear rubens2009,
I can certainly understand your frustration. Aside from seeing another urologist or genitourinary physician for a second opinion there is not much more we could suggest. You could approach it from a psychiatric point of view. Perhaps you could be evaluated to see if there might be a mental condition that is contributing to this disorder. Our minds are powerful players in our physical well-being. This is not saying it's not real; just that it could be originating in your brain somehow. The mind is very complex.

Another approach might by therapeutic hypnosis. This is not the type of hypnosis where you go to a theater to watch people perform, but rather something that is done as alternative medical treatment by a qualified hypnotherapist. Sometimes this method is employed in pain control where the subconscious mind can be reached even though traditional pain control measures fail. There are other alternative medicines that some people find successful so once you have exhausted more traditional methods, it might be worth exploring some of these.

Good luck in your efforts to solve this puzzle and don't give up.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us