Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Hourglass penis

kato987 - Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:34 pm

I am a male in my 20s. About a year ago, my penis started having the 'hourglass deformity' while flacid. It usually occurs when I am nervous or cold, and occurs along with a tight testicle sack. Sometimes, I have a perfectly normal flacid penis. The hourglass shape disappears when I have an erection, and I have no erectile curvature. I am quite embarrassed when I have to reveal my flacid penis with the deformity. However, about one month ago, I contracted Gonorrhea, and received Zithromax and an injection of ceftriaxone as treatment. After the treatment, both the Gonorrhea and 'hourglass deformity' vanished! The 'hourglass deformity' unfortunately came back after about ten days. But during the 10 days, I could be cold, nervous...whatever...and still have a perfectly normal hanging penis. Do you have any idea what caused this? Is there an ingredient in either of the drugs I received that could have temporarily cured it and that I may possibly take permanently? I'd appreciate any information regarding my situation. Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:33 pm

User avatar HI Kato987,

I suspect that what you are descibing is actually a normal variation, given that it is only intermittent and does not interfer with erection.

If you would like a formal evaluation I would recommend you see a urologist.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us