Question: Testicular Pain for Five Months

Lasosa - Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:30 am

I am 22 years old.

Last April, I noticed that my both of my testicles had risen slightly, and I was experiencing pain in both of them.

I went to my doctor a few weeks later and he diagnosed it as epididymitis. He put me on a week's worth of Doxycycline and called it good. The antibiotics didn't do anything so I returned to my doctor the following week. He then put me on a bactrim. That didn't do anything either.

After coming back for a third time, he decided to send me to a urologist. I had my appointment with him and he told that he "couldn't feel anything out of the normal". He sent me to a radiologist to have a testicular ultrasound to get a better understanding of what was going on. Nothing could be determined from that either.

I set up an appointment with a different urologist and basically went through the whole process of there being nothing wrong yet again.

So for the past five months or so, my testicles have been slightly raised and hurt quite regularly. The right one seems to cause more pain in particular, but sometimes it's just the left one and sometimes it's both.

I can't really pinpoint anything that triggers the pain. It seems totally random.

I'm completely lost. My testicles used to hang very loosely in my scrotum, and that hasn't been the case for five months. I'm not imagining the pain either. I know this isn't just in my head.

I've read some very similar stories(practically identical) of people going through the exact same thing as I am, yet all of the doctors I have been to were totally in the dark on what might be going on. So, I guess my question is, do you have any idea what could be causing this? Anything that the doctors I've been to may have overlooked? Is there any information you could provide me with that might help me out? Any ideas that I might present to one of my doctors?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:59 pm

User avatar Hi Lasosa,

Unfortunately, I don't have any great ideas for you. The testing you've had thus far as well as the treatments all seem very appropriate.

You may want to talk with your doctor about having some imaging (such as a CT scan or MRI) of the pelvis and testes. These images give much more detail than an ultrasound and may give you more information. If it doesn't seem that anything is going on with your testes my only other thought would be that there may be something in the pelvis pulling the testes up.