Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Unable to ejaculate

a_six - Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:30 pm

My boyfriend is 35 and since we have been having sex he ejaculates on a sporatic basis. Most of the time he does not and when he does it takes hours, and I become very sore. It is sometimes several weeks (3-8) between his ejaculations, and he told me that he has had problems masturbating recently. He has no problem keeping an erection, infact it will stay hard for hours at a time when we have sex.

He has told me that this is a problem he has been dealing with for 2 years, but has never been to see a doctor. He has had no surgeries, and is no family history that I know of. He takes no prescription, or over the counter meds. He quit smoking cigaretts and that seemed to make things better, but now that he is smoking on a regular basis things are the same.

I was wondering if it could be the cigaretts or if it is the fact that he is a long-term weed smoker, or if there could be something else wrong? He has told me that he has cut way back on the weed, but still does it. Should I insist that he go and see a urologist?

Any insight would be helpful.

Thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:54 pm

User avatar Hi A_six,

There are many possible reasons for this problem, both physically and psychologically (which is not to say that he is making this problem up).

I would recommend he start by seeing a urologist. It is important to get a thorough history and physical examination to help guide the work up process.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us