Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Unable to ejaculate

 a_six - Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:30 pm

My boyfriend is 35 and since we have been having sex he ejaculates on a sporatic basis. Most of the time he does not and when he does it takes hours, and I become very sore. It is sometimes several weeks (3-8) between his ejaculations, and he told me that he has had problems masturbating recently. He has no problem keeping an erection, infact it will stay hard for hours at a time when we have sex.

He has told me that this is a problem he has been dealing with for 2 years, but has never been to see a doctor. He has had no surgeries, and is no family history that I know of. He takes no prescription, or over the counter meds. He quit smoking cigaretts and that seemed to make things better, but now that he is smoking on a regular basis things are the same.

I was wondering if it could be the cigaretts or if it is the fact that he is a long-term weed smoker, or if there could be something else wrong? He has told me that he has cut way back on the weed, but still does it. Should I insist that he go and see a urologist?

Any insight would be helpful.

Thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:54 pm

User avatar Hi A_six,

There are many possible reasons for this problem, both physically and psychologically (which is not to say that he is making this problem up).

I would recommend he start by seeing a urologist. It is important to get a thorough history and physical examination to help guide the work up process.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us