Medical Specialty >> Urology

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: kidney infection symptoms/clear urine

screaming_daisies87 - Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:49 pm

I am a 20 yr old female who has had 2 bladder infections in the past year. My mother also had urinary problems at this age, but nothing that couldn't be treated easily or just went away on its own.
My problem now is, I've had moderate flank pain on my left side below my ribs for exactly one week. This pain moved to my abdomen a few days later, and has become menstrual-like cramps in my groin area. I am not on a period and am not due to start another for almost 2 weeks. This pain is most severe at night and when I wake up in the morning. It hasn't prevented me from doing daily activities, but it's not easy to go about my day, either. My urine is basically normal. I went to the doctor and told him about my symptoms. I had a urine dip-stick test done and it was perfectly normal. The only urinary symptoms I have is increased frequency and I can feel the pelvic/groin pain more as I'm urinating. The doctor said it's probably muscle cramps. Muscle cramps!!! My kidneys hurt!!
I've been told that I may have kidney stones, but I wouldn't say the pain is that severe, although it is worsening.
I'm thinking of going to a gynecologist to rule out any ovarian problems, but if I did have such issues, why would the pain be in my kidneys!!
Thanks for any help![/i]
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:13 pm

User avatar Hi Screaming_daisies87,

There are a few possibilities for your pain. Even with a "normal" urine dip an infection may still be present. This is uncommon in an adult but can happen. It may be worth sending a urine culture just to be sure.

Your pain, and the way it is traveling makes me think that it may actually be a kidney stone. Often, red blood cells are seen in the urine on dipstick but this is not a requirement. A CT scan can help make this diagnosis.

Seeing your gynecologist is also reasonable. Sometimes ovarian cysts can cause a similar pain. I think this is a little less likely but still worth evaluating for.

screaming_daisies87 - Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:40 pm

Thanks for replying to my post. I've been very worried for the week that this has been going on. I'm still in pain, and it's gotten a bit worse but there are longer gaps between the pain. I also thought a kidney stone was the most likely culprit, as I had more symptoms matching that condition than any other, except the blood in urine, of course, which is a pretty vital symptom. I guess it is possible though. In the meantime, I've been drinking at least 32 oz of water a day and taking a cranberry supplement and cranberry juice. I have a gynecologist appt. for the 31st of this month; maybe they'll catch the stone(s) on an ultrasound, or I could ask them to do a urine culture for me. In any case, I"ll be sure to explain my symptoms.
Thanks again!