Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: UTI tests?

dpk777 - Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:54 pm

I went to the doctor because I had a recently developed a frequent urge to urinate. At this point I had not idea was UTI was.
She took a sample of my urine and dipped a strip with a bunch of different colored dots on it into the urine and said I was fine after looking at the results.
After coming home and searching around I learned about UTI, and I'm just wondering if that test would detect UTI because the doctor never mentioned it - she only mentioned the possibility of diabetes so I don't know if that test is just for diabetes or also for other urinary conditions.

If it's not UTI then could it be something else? I'm 25, male, no medical conditions.

thx!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:00 pm

User avatar Urinary frequency can be a sign of diabetes and she may have felt it was more likely for a male since UTIs are quite rare in men. But, there's no way I could say whether or not she did anything more with the urine sample. I would call the office and ask her about this or ask for the results and her impression of your problem as well as what you should do next.

dpk777 - Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:01 pm

thx for the reply!

Since UTI's are rare in men, I don't think she tested for UTI. She only said that I don't have diabetes. So I guess I'll have to call and ask.

I read that UTI's are most often caused by E.coli, right?
I noticed that my my frequent urge to urinate began after a long road trip of using a lot of dirty public bathrooms. Is it possible, or how rare is it, that a male could get a UTI through bathrooms?

thx.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:44 am

User avatar Extremely rare.