Question: erection larger than normal

ppmanppdan - Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:42 pm

I'm a 20 year old male with no prior problems involving my penis. Not frequently, but only sometimes ocurring. During sex, my penis becomes unusually larger than normal. It's such a noticeable difference that my girlfriend even notices. So my question is: Why is this happening to me and why isn't it like that all the time?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:44 pm

User avatar Hi Ppmanppdan,

This may simply be due to varying levels of stimulation. The size of the penis during erection is related to the amount of blood trapped in the spongy tissue of the penis. This occurs because the outflow veins of the penis contract slowing blood exiting from the penis causing a "backup" of blood into the spongy tissue.

The amount of vessel contraction is variable and can be effected by arousal state. I cannot tell you how to have this happen every time though.