Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: kidney stones and mesenteric adenopathy

MIKES - Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:31 am

I am a 32year old man. I was in the ER yesterday passing a kidney stone and the stone was confirmed on a CT scan. What was more concerning was the CT scan showed "mesenterica adenopathy". The ER doc just said to get another CT scan in 6 months and not to worry, but I am worried. Are the swollen nodes just reactive to the kidney stones? Is this common with a kidney stone?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:24 pm

User avatar Hi Mikes,

Mesenteric adenopathy is relatively common. It can occur when fighting off a virus or other infection (generally of the GI tract). If you are having no other symptoms it is reasonable to simply have a repeat scan in 6 months to see if things have resolved.

It is probably not related to your kidney stone. Most likely, had you not had the stone you would not have found the mesenteric adenopathy. Mesenteric adenopathy can cause pain that can occasionally mimic appendicitis.