Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: UTI's-Bladder infection passed sexually?

mary's little lamb - Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:02 am

I am a 53 female who was diagnosed with a bladder infection and an unknown bacteria infection in the vagina. My doctor prescribed two different antibiotics at the time. One pill one time. And 1/2 tab of another for six days. I had blood work and test done for HIV and other possible STD's but nothing came back. My question is I have a sex partner that is showing signs of possible UTI. Should I advise him to see a physician for treatment? Can these types of problems be transmitted during sexual intercourse?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:21 pm

User avatar Hi Mary's little lamb,

Urinary tract infections are not contageous. The bacterial infection you are referring to may have been bacterial vaginosis which is also not contageous.

However, your partner's UTI like symptoms may be an STD. I would recommend your partner be tested as well.

Best wishes.
 mary's little lamb - Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:33 pm

Thank you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us