Question: severe back pain and frequent ures to urinate

gsbstyle - Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:22 pm

I am a 55 year old male in excellent health; no ailments or medications except for idiopathic allergies.
No similair problems in family; no surgeries ever.

Yester early evening I suddenly suffered excrutiating back pain on my left side. i could find no comfort in any postion; sitting was the worst. Pain scale = 8+.
This was accompanied with extremely frequent urges to urinate, but only a few drops of urine was expelled each time.

I was ready to go to the ER, but then about midnight (perhaps 6 hours after the onset), the pain lessened and then within 30 minutes disappeared completely! I then performed a normal extremely full urination and have been fine since.

What in the world happened to me? Any theories?

Thanks, GSB
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:31 pm

User avatar Hi Gsbstyle,

You may have been passing a kidney stone. The description is pretty consistent with this.

If you have this pain again I would recommend you see your doctor for an evaluation.