Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Foreskin Too Tight

 David_1988 - Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:38 pm

Hi, I'm 18 year old, and have had an occuring problem but not bothered to deal with it due to embarrassment. Now paranoid and worired. I can't pull forskin all the way back, however the tight foreskin does not give me any pain what so ever unless I am trying to pull it back or aggresively masterbating. I would like to know if there are any stretching techniques I could use? Also read about Frenulum being too small so don't know whether it is that?

 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:02 pm

User avatar Hi David_1988,

This is a relatively common issue for uncircumcised men. While the tight foreskin itself isn't really a major issue there are some dangers to this. Specifically, there is the possibility that the foreskin may slip behind the head of the penis and become trapped cutting off blood flow. If this occurs it requires urgent circumcision to solve the issue.

There are basically two treatments that I am aware of that have been shown successful. The first is circumcision. This resolves the issue by removing the foreskin.

For most older men, a circumcision is not really a favorite choice. So, there is another treatment that may help. It involves using a very strong topical steroid cream (not the type of steroids that make a persons muscles grow). This cream is applied twice a day for about a month to the tip of the foreskin. Basically it takes advantage of the skin thinning effects of strong steroids. During this time the foreskin is gently pulled back to help stretch the skin several times a day. Often, over the course of the month the skin will loosen sufficiently to resolve the tightness and take away the risk of the foreskin getting trapped.

These steroid creams are available by prescription only so you'll need to see your doctor. You may need to suggest this treatment if needed as it is still somewhat new and not well known. I have used this method with several of my patients and had very good success.

Best wishes.
 markg - Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:19 am


I too had the same problem. I went to the doctors and basically was told they would not offer anything because i can pull it back when not errect so i can clean normally behind it and doesnt cause me pain.

Also i mentioned the steroid cream that the doctors on here mentioned but he said that is not common practice here in the UK

not sure where you are based?

So basically if you can clean under it (which should be done daily) and doesnt cause pain while intercourse they probably wont do anything for you, but go get checked out anyway. I was scared to go to the doctors at first but honestly it was fine its not as rare as your prob think

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us