Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Urinary Tract Infection

 cachaca - Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:41 am

Dear Dr Mokhtar,

This is the follow up from my previous post about UTI. I have completed my 7 days of cephalexin as you have recommended. Then, I waited for 1 week later and performed the following urine test.

a. Full urine analysis. (computerised)
b. Bacteria Culture
c. Sensitivity Test.

The lab test has proven negative which is good on all the tests.

However, I still feel a very slight discomfort around my prostate. This discomfort is not a sharp pain but very slight pain which comes and go in a few seconds. In 24 hours, I would experience something like less than 20 times for sure.

There is no pain during ejaculation or urine. However, I still see those little transparent substance in the urine at times.

Is this normal? What would you recommend me to do now.

 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:08 am

User avatar Dear Cachaca,

Thank you very much for using our website and for the update.

In my personal opinion, i think that the urinary tract infection that you had has already resolved.

Urinary tract infections could sometimes be a sign of prostate infection. Symptoms are usually deep seated pelvic pain, symptoms of urinary tract infection in addition to fever and other general symptoms of infection. There are other types of prostate inflammation that could not be related to bacteria as well.

What you are describing does not strike me as symptoms of chronic prostatitis although it could because in medicine there is no black and white. If you continue to have these symptoms for longer periods of time and it is really causing you problems then i think it will be worth your while to go see a urologist. Prostate infections are a little hard to diagnose and need certain antibiotic to be treated.

Once more, thank you very much for using our website and i hope that this information helped and waiting for your updates.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 Anonymous - Mon Mar 17, 2003 1:49 am

Dear Dr. Mokhtar,

It's been 7 days since I last posted my update. At the moment, I still feel the slight discomfort that comes and go away in a few seconds. Actually I should correct my statement, the area where I feel the discomfort is NOT the prostate but is the Epididymis just around my testicles.

Since you know all the historical events I had, do you think I have got Epididymitis? I have no swell or permanent pain around any area at all. It is just this discomfort that comes and go away.

Maybe it is just strain or fatigue I have? Would you suggest me to perform a intravenous urogram (IVU) ?

So far, there are no symptoms I have for UTI at all.

Thank you.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Mar 17, 2003 1:00 pm

User avatar Dear Cacheca,

Epididymitis is usually a rather dramatic event. Patients will have testicular pain and tenderness, swelling of one compartment of the scrotum, and palpable swelling of the epididymis itself.

What you had, i think from what you described was just a simple urinary tract infection.

i think that you have been cured from urinary tract infection at this point.

Thank you very much for using our website and i am happy that i helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 Anonymous - Tue Apr 08, 2003 5:02 am

Every morning (for over a year now) i am woken up because i get a tickly and very stinging pain inside my vagina. I have managed to find out how to keep it under control (by drinking at least 3 litres of water sraight away and wait untill i can urinate, and then i'm fine but still have to drink another 3 litres or more in total for the rest of the day just in case it comes back). This problem is really getting me down as it has caused me to drop out of college as i cannot bare to walk out the house untill the pain is gone. Another way i have found out to cure it for the day is to have sex with my boyfriend :oops: . This sounds horrible but it helps. Please can you help me as i have put up with this for over a year now and don't know how much longer i can put up with it.
Many Thanks. :(

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us