Question: Blood, protein and ketones in the urine

jmc - Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:31 pm

I'm a 22yr old female and recently i was told i had abnormal urology results. I do suffer from insulin resistance and i am seeing an endocrinologist but my urology tests have normally been fine. I was told that there was blood, protein and ketone's present. At the moment my lips are swollen and infected and i am having difficulty getting and staying asleep. The doctor has sent my urine off for further tests but has left me in the dark as to what these findings are/mean and also what she thinks is causing my symptoms. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:40 pm

User avatar Hi Jmc,

There are a number of possible causes for blood, protein and ketones in the urine. I can't really give you a specific cause for your situation; however, illness is a known cause of this. In particular, kidney infections can do this.

There are several other possible causes so follow up with your doctor is very important. I wish I could give you a more specific answer but based on this I am not able.