Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Microscopic blood in Urine

FrabA - Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:08 am

I am a 30 year old female.(married) I was diagnosed with microscopic blood in Urine (with little pain on my upper left hip) about 18 months ago. I have a over active bladder. I also get frequent Urinary tract infection. My PCP sent me to the Urologist 2 years back when the first dose of antibiotic did not clear the red blood cell. Then the Urologist did a Cystoscopy in July 2006. It came out normal. After the Cystoscopy I gave the Urine and everything came out normal meaning there was no microscopic red blood cell in my Urine.
But then after 2 months later it came back again. The Urologist put me on Nitrofur for 3 months this summer of 2007. But this time the red blood cell did not go away. The Urologist told me it is normal to have microscopic red blood cell in urine for 10% of people. I understand that part but ever since I am passing microscopic blood i am getting frequent UTI.
I used to take Prilosec OTC for my acid reflux. Recently I read on the internet that the "Rare side effect"of the medication is Blood in Urine & Urinary Tract infection. After reading this i have stopped taking Prilosec for 1 month now.
I have made an appointment with my Gynocologist to do a ultra sound of my Ovary.
My life has changed completely last 2 years. I am so depressed because i can't live my normal life. Please help me.
 FrabA - Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:40 am

I had CT scan several times. There were no kidney stones detected.

Since last year, seems like my immune system became weak. I catch cold and flu easily. I never had this problem before.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us