Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: kidney stones

lijones42 - Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:33 am

29 year old female. I went to the er on Friday and was diagnosed with kidney stones. I am supposed to be straining urine for stones/samples. I am also taking birth control pills regularly to regulate my period. I am supposed to begin my period this week. I was wondering what to do since I am supposed to be straining the urine.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:48 pm

User avatar Hi Lijones42,

While it may be unpleasant to you, the blood will not interfere with the stone analysis. I would suggest you continue to strain your urine as you have been.

Analyzing the stone can help determine what type of stone you have to help get a specific treatment for you.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us