Question: CONSTANT THIRST & URINATION URGE - PLEASE HELP

razz85 - Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:20 pm

Hi Doctors,

I think I posted on these boards around mid july regarding this problem. I am a 22yrs old male, who has been experiencing a frequent urge to urinate (around 5mins after ive been to the toilet) and feeling thirsty. Coupled with this, I cannot get a 100% erection since this problem began - its always around 80-90% never full. I consulted my family doctor who first diagnosed me with a UTI.

I went through a course of 2 different antibiotics and after my urine sample was sent to the lab - my doctor discovered I didnt have a UTI at all. He then checked my blood sugar recently for diabetes and it came back all clear for that too.
Owing to the erection problem - I wanted to clarify I am still a virgin. So I found this very puzzling as to whats going on.

My Doctor has dismissed my case and says I probably have an irritable bladder and that I should learn to live with it (which made me very angry) - but this doesnt answer why I cannot get a full erection and why I am still getting the urge to have to urinate/get thirsty.

Im stuck at the moment and do not know which way to turn. What advice could you give me now Doctor? STD's/Diabetes and UTI have been ruled out. I am baffled as to what else it could be - any ideas what it could be and what I should do next?

Thank you very much
Razz
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:01 pm

User avatar Hi Razz85,

When I hear of someone being very thirsty and having to urinate a lot there are a few things that come to mind as things that "can't be missed" on my list. First is diabetes mellitus (insulin and sugar kind). If this is not present the next question is is there a problem with water regulation such as with diabetes insipidus (DI). DI can have two forms. It may be central in that the brain may not be making antidiuretic hormone (ADH, the hormone that controls water retention) or it may be peripheral in that the kidneys may not respond to the ADH.

The tipoff to DI is that the water intake and urine outputs are very, very high. Some of my patients with DI have been drinking seven or eight liters of water a day with similar urination amounts. If your urine is particularly diluted this would also be a tipoff.

With your difficulties with erections and the need to urinate so soon after urination you may also have a problem with your prostate. The prostate may be blocking your urethra some so that you can't fully empty your bladder, causing you to need to urinate shortly after prior urinations. Usually, in this case, the thirst is not increased, though.

I would recommend you consider seeing a urologist as a starting place. The erection issue may or may not be related to the thirst and urination. The urologist can help sort this out. Also, your primary doctor should be able to do some screening tests for DI and a few of the other water retention problems. If there is some concern or uncertainty about how to do this seeing an endocrinologist would be helpful.

razz85 - Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:10 pm

Thank you for the advice doctor lowe - I will once again consult my doctor - he thinks its nothing but I will tell him I still feel uncomfortable and if he can refer me to a specialist.