Question: Small lesion at tip of urethra

pscholes - Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:08 pm

I am a 23 year old male. I have just discovered a reddish (slightly brighter in color than the surrounding area) lesion at the tip of my penis just within the opening of my urinal tract. The lump/lesion is slightly concealed as it is inside the opening and can only be seen properly when spreading the opening. Therefore it is hard for me to say how long it has been there as it can be hard to notice it. The lump/lesion is soft, raised and approximately 3mm in diameter.

It is painless, doesn’t itch and does not hurt when I urinate.

I don’t know whether it is an STD or not. I have not had sex for more than 2 months and in the last 1.5-2 years I have had sex with only 2 partners. Could it be genital warts? As far as I know my previous partner does not have genital warts, however I do have a wart on my hand – is it possible for a wart to be contracted from hand to penis?

I am very worried about this, and any advice as to what it might be or possible treatments will be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou very much.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:26 pm

User avatar Hi Pscholes,

There are a few possibilities regarding this. This lump may be an area of irritation from excess moisture, etc. It may also be a lump related to an STD. Commonly STD's are asymptomatic in men so if STD's are possible I always recommend testing.

Unfortunately without an exam I really can't give you much of a definite answer. I would recommend you see your doctor about this.

Regarding the transmission of the virus from a hand wart to the genitals this doesn't occur. Warts are caused by a virus called human papilloma virus (HPV). There are over 100 different strains of HPV. The strains that cause warts on the hands (generally type 1 and 2) do not cause genital warts (which are most commonly caused by types 6 and 11). It is possible to be infected with more than one strain of HPV, though.