Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Kidney Stones

sarahjr - Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:59 pm

I have been having intermittent pain in my upper abdomen and kidney region the past few days. I had an x-ray and it showed a large amount of stool, which means I'm obviously constipated. It also showed Multiple Small Calcifications in the Inferior Pole of my Left Kidney. When I look this up it means Kidney Stones. Even though these are "small" are they the cause of my pain and will they go away without treatment? Is the pain caused by the stones moving?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:44 pm

User avatar Hi Sarahjr,

There are several possible causes of your pain. Constipation, itself, can cause very significant pain. Kidney stones are a classic cause of terribly severe pain. Kidney stone pain usually starts in the back and can travel downward into the pelvis as the stone travels.

If your pain continues I would recommend you see your doctor.

icklehayz - Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:52 pm

can someone with horseshoe kidney ever be clear of kidney stones and uti's?
ive had them for several years and although im in treatment in london guys hospital im at my wits end with dealing with the pain and mood swings from the pain relief.