Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Fluconazole and nitrofurantoin for infection-can I take both

karebear71 - Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:58 pm

I have a reoccurring bladder infections due to sex. I am usually very careful and expel urine after sex; however, my husband and I are trying to conceive, so I have not expelled urine after sex. I believe I have another bladder infection. I went to the doctor last night. My urine did not indicate high levels of of bacteria, but it did indicate some yeast. The doctor gave me two presciptions: one for yeast infection (fluconazole 150 mg) and one for bladder infection (nitrofurantoin). The doctor advised me to take the fluconazole first and wait 2-3 days to see if the infection cleared. I am sensitive in understanding my symptoms as they relate to bladder infections, and this morning the symptoms are starting to increase. I feel dull ache and the urge to urinate. I know that this is a bladder infection. Here is the concern. I took the fluconazole last night (around 11:00 pm). I desire to start the nitrofurantoin, but I am unsure about the reaction of the fluconazole if I do start. I am not sure who to ask this question, because I saw an urgent care doctor. Any advise? Should I contact my regular doctor?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:27 pm

User avatar Hi Karebear71,

It is safe to take fluconazole and nitrofurantoin together. There is no significant interaction. A single dose of fluconazole should be sufficient to treat a yeast infection. Nitrofurantoin is a good medicine for simple urine infections but is often not sufficient for more significant infections, such as a kidney infection, so if your urinary symptoms worsen you should see your doctor again to see if you need a different antibiotic.