Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Pain After Ejaculatoin

 frostkman - Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:44 am

I have read many forums but haven't found anyone with these exact symptoms. I have been tested for STD's and I am completely clean. When I have sex or masturbate I feel no pain, but after ejaculation there is a throbbing pain feeling along the shaft of penis. It is not in any specific spot and does not hurt at the tip or testicles. The pain is in the muscle along the shaft and last for about 3-4 hours after ejaculation. After that the pain goes away and does not return until after ejaculation occurs again. I am not having rough or aggressive sex. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:42 pm

User avatar Hi Frostkman,

I'm not certain what would be causing this pain. Perhaps you have a strained muscle or some inflammation of the spongy part of the penis that fills with blood to cause an erection. I would expect that both these would present with pain before ejaculation though.

Given that the pain starts after ejaculation it makes me wonder if you have some inflammation of the urethra or the vessels that carry semen. If this were the case, the pain may be triggered by the semen flowing through the vessels. This type of inflammation is commonly caused by STD's but it can also be caused by various viral infections as well.

If this pain continues I would recommend you see a urologist for further evaluation.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us