Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Lower back pain on running and standing

markomary - Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:54 am

I have lower back pain when trying to run are sometimes just standing for a while, its generally right above the hipps can a Kidney infection cause this?also a lott of times when i try to urinenate i have to push it out, and sometimes it takes awhile to finnsh because it has no force and it will slowly drain before it qiuts running. any idea whats wrong?
markomary
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:38 pm

User avatar Hi Markomary,

Urine infections can cause back pain but it would be a little unusual for the pain to be only with running or standing.

You may want to see your doctor for an evaluation. Sometimes a slight difference in leg lengths can be the underlying cause of this type of pain. Pulled muscles and slight twists in the spine are common causes as well.

The urine issues may or may not be related. One possible way to connect the two would be that there are some nerves in the spine being pressed upon causing the pain and causing bladder function problems. This often will be accompanied by loss of sensation of the skin of the inner thighs/groin area (in a saddle distribution).

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us