Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Blood in urine

cloudtops - Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:33 pm

Two years ago at my annual company medical I was found to have blood in my urine. Same this year, (micro). I have had ultrasound and X-ray checks of bladder, kidney function, urine flow checks, flexible cystoscopy,PSA test (less than 1), DRE of prostate, and an IVU X-ray. Only things found - urine flow not brilliant, and slightly thickened muscle at neck (?) of my bladder. I get up perhaps twice a night for a pee, and have a sensation, can't really call it discomfort, in my bladder area when I've been lying down for a while. I have had lower back pain for years, but so have a few million others, so I live with it. I'm 49.

If I've just got 'leaky kidneys' then OK, so be it. But if anyone can offer any info I'd be glad to hear it.

Thanks,

Tops
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:22 pm

User avatar Dear Tops,

i see your doctor did a very good job up to the most invasive investigation to try and find out where the blood is coming from.

Blood without other abnormalities in the urinalysis usually points out to a problem in the urinary passages and not a kidney problem.

One thing i did not get from your story, i know you had a digital rectal exam but was a prostate massage done and a sample taken or not. Blood with the others symptoms that you have (back pain and nigth micturition) could mean that you have prostatitis (infection of the prostate).

These same symptoms could mean just plain enlarged prostate which could present with the same symptom of microscopic blood in the urine.

Microscopic hematuria could mean that there is cancer of the bladder which necessitated you to have a flexible cystoscopy which you did and turned out to be negative.

My recommendation is to follow-up with a urologist, i think the recommendations for microscopic hematuria at this time is to get a yearly flexible cystoscopy.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us