Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Overnight Non painful swollen penis and scrotum

sfvb - Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:20 am

Hi

Im an expat living in 2nd tier city of china.

This morning i experienced very slight discomfort and swelling in my scrotum which subsided slightly and started in my penis, subsequently I have visited the local hospital, they did a CT scan on my penis and scrotum, only to conclude that it could be water in the area and that it is NOT a hernia, after arriving at home my waist started to swell, no my entire sub region is swolen. I am in no pain or discomfort, only concerned.

I am 34yrs old, have not been sexual active the last 2 months, done nothing strange, I did however begin to go to gym (and its been at least 7 mnths since last going), hence me thinking its a hernia (ruled out by CT).......

The local urologist I say doesnot think its has anything to do with the gym, or his department, i.e urology, his thoughts are that its water seeping from elsewhere into the body.

I would appreciate your thoughts before I go to a 1st tier city and find expat drs

regards
sean
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:40 am

User avatar Hi Sean,

Swelling such as you are describing may be due to edema (basically water leaking into the soft tissue). Edema tends to settle in more gravity dependent areas such as the scrotum in men.

Often, this will develop because the albumin level in the blood (one of the blood proteins) is low. This can occur in several conditions. Conditions that lead to a rapid development of edema are often related to loss of albumin in the urine (usually due to a kidney problem filtering too much albumin or not reabsorbing enough). i would recommend you see your primary care doctor for some screening labs to check your albumin level and kidney function. Your liver function should also be evaluated.

Your primary care doctor can also evaluate to see if this really is edema or something else.

sfvb - Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:59 am

Hi Doc

Your response is much appreciated, over the last two days the swelling has only slightly subsided so wil head to Beijing to consult with foreign doctors...... thanks again....sean