Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Overnight Non painful swollen penis and scrotum

 sfvb - Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:20 am


Im an expat living in 2nd tier city of china.

This morning i experienced very slight discomfort and swelling in my scrotum which subsided slightly and started in my penis, subsequently I have visited the local hospital, they did a CT scan on my penis and scrotum, only to conclude that it could be water in the area and that it is NOT a hernia, after arriving at home my waist started to swell, no my entire sub region is swolen. I am in no pain or discomfort, only concerned.

I am 34yrs old, have not been sexual active the last 2 months, done nothing strange, I did however begin to go to gym (and its been at least 7 mnths since last going), hence me thinking its a hernia (ruled out by CT).......

The local urologist I say doesnot think its has anything to do with the gym, or his department, i.e urology, his thoughts are that its water seeping from elsewhere into the body.

I would appreciate your thoughts before I go to a 1st tier city and find expat drs

 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:40 am

User avatar Hi Sean,

Swelling such as you are describing may be due to edema (basically water leaking into the soft tissue). Edema tends to settle in more gravity dependent areas such as the scrotum in men.

Often, this will develop because the albumin level in the blood (one of the blood proteins) is low. This can occur in several conditions. Conditions that lead to a rapid development of edema are often related to loss of albumin in the urine (usually due to a kidney problem filtering too much albumin or not reabsorbing enough). i would recommend you see your primary care doctor for some screening labs to check your albumin level and kidney function. Your liver function should also be evaluated.

Your primary care doctor can also evaluate to see if this really is edema or something else.

Best wishes.
 sfvb - Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:59 am

Hi Doc

Your response is much appreciated, over the last two days the swelling has only slightly subsided so wil head to Beijing to consult with foreign doctors...... thanks again....sean

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us